Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Joy of Motherwell

It seems crazy that I have been here for a whole week. The time has gone by so fast. We are starting to find our way around the college now and remember where all the dishes go in the kitchen.
On Thursday and Friday we did a general orientation with the first years on the course and took a tour of the college. The bookshop (with our 20% discount) is one of the best parts! In the afternoons, we spent time with Esther, our FirstServe coordinator. We talked about our placements and our feelings about this experience and being overseas. It was great to put our feelings on the table and to talk about how to deal with any problems we may have.
We have watched lots of movies and been to the 24 hour ASDA quite a bit (for DVDs and ice cream!). And we have at least four or five cups of tea a day!
On Saturday, the college held a prayer seminar that was very interesting, refreshing, and helpful. It was long but the speaker made good points that have strengthened my prayer time.
Sunday was my first experience at an Evangelical Church where they have a "Breaking of the Bread" (communion) service and then a family service. I really enjoyed their style of worship and enjoyed meeting the congregation. One little lady got talking to me and it turns out that she has a grandson at church in Glasgow where I'll be going next, her son lives in Philly, and she has a granddaughter called Fiona!
The meals here are so yummy but I couldn't stay here very long or I would gain way too much weight!
Yesterday we started lectures and this week is focused on "Intro to the Bible" and "Christian Life." They have been really cool and I've learned a lot already! It's been a while since I've had religious classes. We start every lecture with prayer and use the Bible for reference the whole time!
Today, I had to give my testimony during devotions which went better than I thought, since I only prepared late the night before...
We had some banter at the bookshop today:
And a lovely time shopping through the "sunny" streets of Motherwell:
 
I had my first "wash day" today which proved to be a challenge and a lot of fun trying to figure out how long one load would take in the washer! Luckily, Rachel and I figured it all out.
I think that's all that has happened in the last week... Maybe one of these days I'll make it outside between rain showers to go for a run!
XOXO

2 comments: